Tuesday 14 October 2008

Who Lives In A House.....

Like this????
Unfortunately this house is located in my street in Sunny Herne Bay! In this day and age, I find it hard to believe that anyone could leave this potentially wonderful house to decay into this awful condition. With window frames rotting resulting in windows falling out, I wonder if it will ever be restored to its former glory!

What makes it worse for me is the fact that the other residents work hard to maintain their properties to keep up the appearance of our street!

A property like this leaves me wondering why the Local Authority doesn't have more power to insist homes like this are updated and made good!

1 comment:

Mike Harrison said...

I totally understand your concerns about dilapidated houses ruining the whole feel to a street.

There is, however, something the local authority, Canterbury City Council, can do.

Under Section 215 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, they can serve a notice on the owners requiring the property to be "tidied up" if they site is adversely affecting the neighbourhood.

Of course, there are grey areas about what exactly amounts to "adversely affecting" but I would suggest it as a starting point. All the best.